Do you have trouble stitching your jeans or leather clothes? Have you ever wondered why? Did you know it’s because you didn’t choose the right sewing needle for your machine?
For beginners, most people didn’t know there are different types of needles. Nowadays, there are plenty of them that you can choose for a specific fabric.
If you didn’t know any single one yet, you don’t have to worry. We’ll explain to you so you can choose the right sewing needle for your sewing machines.
Sewing Needle: Explained
A sewing needle is an essential part of stitching in a sewing machine. It’s a small thin object with a sharp point. It looks like a pin but, only it has a hole that you can insert the string of the thread.
Different Parts & Types Of Needle
Did you know that even a needle has parts? Yes, even this smallest thing. Below are the portions and its explanation, so you’ll know what’s the use of a sewing needle.
- Shank – Unlike the ordinary, a sewing needle has a shank. It is the part which will attach to the machine.
- Blade – It defines the size of it.
- Shaft – This is the part where you can hold it.
- Point/Tip – It is the sharp part of the needle. You should be careful holding this portion as it can hurt you.
- Eye/Hole – It is where you will insert the stitch of the thread.
- Universal Needle – It used for basic clothes like cotton.
- Jeans Needle – It is used in slightly thin fabric like jeans.
- Leather Needle – If you are sewing a leather jacket and bag, you can use this one.
- Stretch Needle – Then, if you are stitching stretchable clothes, it is the needle you need to use.
Steps to choose a needle:
- You should identify what fabric and thread you will be using.
- Then, you will be choosing from the types of needles we already tackled from above.
- You will now change the needle from your sewing machine with what suits to your clothes.
- After that, try sewing on a piece of cloth if the needle suits your stitching.
Why Choose The Right Needle?
Choosing the correct needle is very important in sewing. It’s essential as there are different types of fabric. If you don’t have the right needle, you’ll have trouble stitching your fabrics. Therefore, you also need to be aware of those different types of needle.
Lifespan Of The Needle
If you ask a professional seamstress, the lifespan of the needle is just a few hours. However, if you’re using it for personal use, you may change it after several months.
Have we explained thoroughly on how to choose the right needle in your sewing machine? Did we give you the correct information you needed? Let us know in the comments and don’t forget to share this article with your friends and family.
As important as choosing the right needle, choosing the right sewing machine for advanced users isn’t something you should take lightly.